Tuesday, September 16, 2008


I have to start my column off this week by thanking all those who have wished me a happy birthday. I turn 38 on September 18th and I have to say it's been a great year. I'm going to hopefully spend the evening listening to my cousin, Ryan Dorman, play music at Cottonwood Creek in Chickasha. He starts about 9 PM that night if anyone out there wants to join the fun. Earlier that day, I'm speaking to the Fletcher American Legion, attending the ASCOG annual banquet and participating in a regional discussion on county road funding.
I had the chance to start the week off right by serving as a volunteer at a booth at the State Fair. It was great to see many of the projects displayed by the students from our area. Good luck to all the students competing in the projects and congratulations to those that I saw who have already won. Along those lines, I've seen three different high school football games over the past two weeks as six of my schools played each other. It's great to see the weather finally cooling off and football going strong. My schedules are also finally finished and should be at local stores and at the games if you would like to pick one up.
We are seeing the the interim studies at the Capitol finally being scheduled. I have a study with several other legislators regarding autism coverage for children that will meet this week. This will look at possible solutions for assistance for families that are affected by autism and what can be done to help. We will have speakers discuss successes in other states, along with attempts that failed, and also bring in families who might have suggestions on changes in the law where assistance can be provided efficiently.
On Friday, I have my forum regarding alternative energy policies. I hope those of you interested in alternative energy sources and the possibility of the reduction of dependence on foreign oil will have the opportunity to make it up for this meeting. We have a great variety of guest speakers, ranging for the Oklahoma Secretary of Energy to businesses that have shifted to using CNG vehicles for their fleets. This should provide a great outlook on future trends and possible policies we can implement to help our nation. This will occur in the Senate Chamber in the Capitol from 9 AM to noon.
It is an honor to represent your views at the State Capitol. If you wish to contact me and discuss one of these or another issue, I can be reached at my office in Oklahoma City toll-free at 1-800-522-8502, or directly at 1-405-557-7305. My e-mail address is joedorman@okhouse.gov at work. My mailing address is PO Box 559, Rush Springs, OK 73082 and my website is http://www.joedorman.com/ on the Internet. Thank you for taking time to read this column and I look forward to seeing you soon.

No comments: