Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Open Door Policy - June 22, 2010

I hope everyone had a great Father's Day! I had the pleasure of spending the day with some of my cousins and thinking about my own dad. Our church sermon was tied in with what did we most importantly learn from our fathers. I feel like one of the things my own dad taught me was the willingness to help others and to make personal sacrifices when you are able to help someone else in need. I miss my dad, but treasure the time I had with him and the lessons I learned to make me a better person.
I had the pleasure of attending some fantastic events this past weekend. On Friday, I was honored to represent the Comanche County House delegation in presenting to Great Plains Career Technology Center Superintendent Jim Nisbett a citation of appreciation for his service in education. Jim announced his retirement after 45 years of service to students in Oklahoma. As the event had humorous overtones, I gladly reminded him that was six years longer than I have been alive. He, along with the rest of the attendees, had a great evening and it has been a pleasure working with him over my term of service.
On Saturday, I had the opportunity to attend an event which was very emotional. Each year, the OKC YWCA holds the Purple Sash Gala, their annual fundraiser to support their domestic abuse shelter. I have toured this facility and heard stories from women who have received help from this effort. It was an amazing evening, both listening to the stories of those personally affected by this program and also to see the hundreds of donors show up and lend their support. I donated items to the auction to help with the efforts, one of which was lunch with myself and Lt. Governor Jari Askins. I was pleased to see all the auction items bring in thousands of dollars for this cause. I also intend to introduce a bill to create an income tax check-off so citizens can easily donate to this worthy effort.
If you are in immediate danger from abuse, dial 9-1-1; if not in immediate danger, call 2-1-1 or the following numbers for help:
Oklahoma Safeline - 1-800-522-7233 (SAFE);
Grady County - Chickasha - Women's Service & Family Resource Center - 800-734-4117 (in state only);
Caddo and Comanche County - Lawton - New Directions - Crisis: 580-357-2500; Shelter: 580-357-5441.
It is an honor to represent your views at the State Capitol. If you wish to contact me and discuss one of these or another issue, I can be reached at my office in Oklahoma City toll-free at 1-800-522-8502, or directly at 1-405-557-7305. My e-mail address is joedorman@okhouse.gov at work. My mailing address is PO Box 559 , Rush Springs , OK 73082 and my website is www.joedorman.com on the Internet. Thank you for taking time to read this column and I look forward to seeing you soon.

No comments: