Thursday, November 13, 2008

Open Door Policy - Nov. 12, 2008



I hope everyone had an enjoyable Veterans Day. I had the chance to attend two ceremonies that were very moving. The first was on Monday at Elgin with their high school program put on by Mrs. Kellie Thomas. This event honored those who are veterans and also those in active duty. Two young men were honored for their enlistment from the school and they were present in uniform. Jonathan Ricks and Nick Scouten are both to be commended and I appreciate them very much for their upcoming service to our country. General Dave Ralston, the former commander from Fort Sill addressed the crowd and gave a very moving speech. We are fortunate to have him still living in our area following his retirement from the Army.
I also had the opportunity to attend the Veterans Day ceremony at Fort Sill, which is in my legislative district. The ceremony was held in the cemetery on post and you could not help but look around at the stones that marked those men and women who dedicated their lives in service to our country. Thank you to all those veterans out there who have helped secure our freedom!
My interim study last week provided a great deal of information regarding our elections process in Oklahoma. There were very few problems at the polls and the provisional ballots are currently being reviewed for authenticity and will be included in the totals, even though none can possibly change outcomes on the elections. Thank you to those of you that voted and helped make this election turnout just short of a state record.
On Wednesday, the Oklahoma Hall of Fame selections were presented and Bill Burgess, a Lawton resident who also serves as chairman of the Oklahoma Board of Regents, was honored for his work for Oklahoma. Donna Nigh, our former First Lady for Oklahoma, also was recognized, along with Ron Norick, former Oklahoma City Mayor and Chief Judge Robert Henry of the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals and a former state attorney general and state representative. Congratulations and thanks are to be extended to each for their service to our state.
Next Tuesday will be the swearing in ceremony for the legislators at the State Capitol. I will begin my fourth term as your state representative, so thank you again for allowing me this opportunity to serve you.
It is an honor to represent your views at the State Capitol. If you wish to contact me and discuss one of these or another issue, I can be reached at my office in Oklahoma City toll-free at 1-800-522-8502, or directly at 1-405-557-7305. My e-mail address is joedorman@okhouse.gov at work. My mailing address is PO Box 559, Rush Springs, OK 73082 and my website is http://www.joedorman.com/ on the Internet. Thank you for taking time to read this column and I look forward to seeing you soon.

No comments: