Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Open Door Policy - August 19, 2008



It has been a busy two weeks around the district, as well as the entire state with school starting back up, both at the secondary level and with our colleges. Good luck to all the students, faculty and staff as they prepare for another school year!
The Rush Springs Watermelon Festival went off very well, as did most of the evenings at the Apache Rodeo. I've still been feeling under the weather from my trip to Central America, but should be back up and around very soon thanks to the doctors. Montezuma's Revenge is something not to play around with and they are serious about not drinking the water down there.
The interim studies are going now at the Capitol. Next Tuesday the 26th at 9:30, I have a study at the capitol dealing with fee structures for colleges here in Oklahoma. I have several administrators from the State Regents, OU and OSU all testifying. This was a study that was requested by myself and the late Rep. Terry Hyman, a colleague that passed away earlier this summer. We both were concerned with the discussion of rising tuition, but very little notice of the fees increasing as well. I hope to gather information showing why these fees also continue to climb and expect to hear good information about the different assessments. This is open to the public and should you attend, please notify my office so I can have seating arranged for you.
Much of the work on studies is done by the House staff behind the scenes. I've been there myself on the seven years I served as a staffer and I know how much work these people do to assist the legislators. I've had Valorie Rodgers, the Director for Research and Constituent Relations for the Democratic Caucus, working on this fee structure study with me. Valorie is originally from our area and her sisters were my age in school, so I've heard wonderful things about her before she was hired. I can say they were all true as she has done a wonderful job working for the members at the Capitol. She and the rest of the staff do not get the appreciation they deserve. Thank you to them and to all the rest of the employees out there that keep the system going.
It is an honor to represent your views at the State Capitol. If you wish to contact me and discuss one of these or another issue, I can be reached at my office in Oklahoma City toll-free at 1-800-522-8502, or directly at 1-405-557-7305. My e-mail address is joedorman@okhouse.gov at work. My mailing address is PO Box 559, Rush Springs, OK 73082 and my website is http://www.joedorman.com/ on the Internet. Thank you for taking time to read this column and I look forward to seeing you soon.

No comments: